Sunday, August 14, 2011

Some Families, Very Large by Jose Dalisay

     This story shows the harsh realities in our lives today. Some people are really distraught by poverty and are willing to do anything for money, even going as far as calling other people 'family.' I pity Sammy because he's all too young and innocent to be experiencing all these things. He only believes what his father says, which we all know isn't true. I'm not sure whether or not I should pity the father, as I don't know what caused him to lose his job in the first place. I can see that he loves Sammy very much though. I believe that the story is set in Christmastime because everyone seems to be good during that season. Beyond that is the fact that this may symbolize change or a new beginning for the characters in the story. The optimistic feel at the end was a nice touch though, where Sammy, Felipe, and Mrs. Navarette were only imagining things, probably of a better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment