Sunday, August 14, 2011

Hills Like White Elephants by Ernest Hemingway

     Having read "Old Man and the Sea," I expected this story to have the same Hemingway-like elements such as elaborate, symbolic descriptions and dialogue. Like all great writers, Hemingway does not disappoint. I loved the story for its seclusion on the topic of abortion within the paragraphs. Each dialogue gave subtle hints as to what the couple's problem was all about, and it took me a while to figure out. The description of the setting and the comparison of hills to white elephants made me use my imagination a lot, too. I believe that stories that can make the reader ponder on things are the best pieces of literature. The cliffhanger ending really makes one think if the couple would push through with the abortion or not. Based on the clues though, I assume they would.

No comments:

Post a Comment